• I’m Trying.

    On January 6, 2020, I said goodnight to my mom and got into bed. Just before opening Spotify to listen to my ritual podcast before bed (podcast of choice at the time was The Adventure Zone), I had a random urge to check my email.

  • Addition for Tuition

    Carol wanted an easy fundraising opportunity, and after a brainstorming session I came up with the name “Addition for Tuition.” Carol had the concept already created: a card that on the front introduces one of the Royal Kids School students and on the inside is a grid of boxes representing different values. This card can be presented to family, friends, and really anyone someone meets and they can donate a single amount from one of the boxes or they can combine boxes to get different amounts. To go along with this card, I made bookmarks to hand out whenever someone donates to give thanks for what they’ve done and also…

  • Hot Diggity Dog

    These bookmarks are to hand out with the hot dog lunches for the Hot Diggity Dog fundraiser. I had to make two different versions, since the organization who was wanting to print their own bookmarks didn’t want to use so much ink on the bookmarks with purple backgrounds. I also was tasked with making an informational poster that could be handed out to people in organization that might be interested in hosting the event. For this flier, I decided to switch things us and use Piktochart. This website provided me with a nice base template to help me organize my information. I was very happy with how the design turned out!

  • Water Card

    Early on this semester, Carol told me she wanted a rack card with information about e3kids’ water project. Something that could concisely tell people what work the organization was doing and what its effects in the world were. I drafted one design in late September, trying to get ideas down and work from there.  It took a lot of work digging through material Carol gave me, sorting through statistics and instructions and testimony. There were so many facts I wanted to include, but most were too lengthy to be effective on a rack card. What hit me the hardest were surveys conducted by Uzima three months after the installation of…

  • Coffee Cards

    Making the coffee cards was the first assignment I had to do based on information from an email. Carol wasn’t able to meet me in person, so all I had to work with were old versions of similar cards and the specific details asked of me to put on the cards.  I had to choose three photos for three types of coffee, and with those photos I had to crop them to have the most emphasis on the library/reading aspects. This helped show me how to focus on the photos to see what is important and what I should cut out. So even if I still liked the image as…

  • Double Your Impact

    I was tasked to design some tags for these bracelets, earrings, and potential necklaces made from the paper beads. There were many different narratives that went into these products, from the beads to the assembly to the donation of profits. Carol explained to me that girls in Kenya are often considered too expensive to have in the family once they start menstruating and are then essentially sold to older men as young wives. To combat this, girls are given an opportunity to earn money through artisan crafts. One thing they can do is hand-roll paper beads, which are then sold to e3 Kids International. From there, local U.S. school groups…

  • Greater Love Benefit

    One task that was given to me was creating graphics for the Greater Love Benefit. A little background: the Greater Love Benefit is a fundraising dinner put on by e3 Kids and incorporates Safe Haven Village, a community of families that utilize family-style orphan care. I was given the logo that was used last year and was asked to make a ticket for the event. I used the rough size of the cards from last year, so I ended up with the design below. After making the ticket, we found out that the website that sells the online tickets had a specific size for the image, so I quickly edited…

  • Getting Started

    Getting content up and going for e3 has been slow to start, only because graphic design for an organization requires a lot of planning. Before beginning, I wanted to make sure e3 Kids had a consistent look across all platforms. Luckily, Carol told me she is working with a JMU graduate on creating a new website. With this website construction includes brand image and general stylistic similarities to keep static. You can only imagine how happy I was when Carol shared a set of files with me that included a color guide, fonts, and many different formats of the new e3 logo.                …

  • Internship With e3 Kids

    April 14th, 2018. University of Mary Washington Multicultural Fair. It was a sunny, albeit hot, day and I was excited to attend my first Multicultural Fair (since my freshman year I had to miss because of a Quidditch Tournament). All the booths were so different and intriguing, I had to hold onto my wallet tightly. One booth caught my eye due to the free coffee available to sample. So naturally, despite the heat, I stopped to give in to my coffee fix. I found myself speaking with a woman who was explaining the origins of the different coffees (Guatemala was the one that stuck in my head). While my friends…

css.php